Contributors

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The best brussel sprouts EVER recipe

Several months ago my good friend Haley had me over for dinner. She made these green beans wrapped in bacon. They were seriously the best thing ever. Charlie hates green beans and when I made these, he couldn't stop eating them. Now I know, bacon=not so healthy. But really, the trick to this recipe wasn't just the bacon, but the butter/brown sugar you drizzle on top!

So I started thinking, how can I healthify that? Well, instead of butter I used smart balance, and instead of brown sugar I used splenda brown sugar. Results? Just as good!

I had brussel sprouts yesterday and wasn't sure what to do with them.
Untitled

One surefire trick to brussel sprouts, is peel the top layers off! I HATE brussel sprouts and think they are so bitter when the top layer is on. Peel them? Delicious.

I searched around on some blogs including http://afterdinnerdance.com/ and http://www.pbfingers.com/ and then decided to combine several things I saw, including Haley's trick of butter/brown sugar. I didn't have smart balance but a different low fat margarine spread, so any would work (including butter if you want the real thing, but nobody could tell the difference).

 The result? The best brussel sprouts EVER recipe. They compete with my "oh my g-d" cookies!


Ingredients:
1 bag of brussel sprouts, top layer peeled, and quartered
1/2 cup of cashews
1/2 cup of dehydrated shitake mushrooms (NOT rehydrated).
2 tbs vegetable spread
1 tbs splenda brown sugar mix

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Prepare your brussel sprouts so they are evenly cut (halved or quartered, and PEELED). Mix them with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Add your cashews and mushrooms to the mix.
3. Microwave your margarine/butter/spread for 30 seconds, add the splenda brown sugar, and mix in. You may need to nuke it for another 30 seconds. Spread it all over the brussel sprouts mixture and mix so it is even.
4. Transfer your mixture to a glass dish and cook for an hour, mixing it up every 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment